How do I get a high-mileage adjustment?
  • The amount of the high-mileage adjustment is based on a table provided by the SC Department of Revenue.
  • Odometer readings are subject to visual inspection by Auditor’s Staff.
  • You may mail, fax, or personally present your appeal to the Auditor’s office.
    • If you file an appeal, your appeal does not extend the due date.
    • You should file the appeal early in the month so that you can receive a revised tax bill in time to pay it and renew your registration prior to the expiration of your tag decal.
  • Once your renewal date has expired, appeals for high mileage cannot be granted for that year’s taxes (in accordance with state law).
  • If your vehicle is over 15 years old, it does not qualify for the high mileage reduction. The value is already at a minimum charge.
  • If you do not receive a tax bill at least 45 days before your vehicle tag renewal is due, contact the Auditor’s office immediately.

Show All Answers

1. How do you determine what my motor vehicle is worth?
2. What is the assessment ratio on motor vehicles in South Carolina?
3. When are vehicle taxes due?
4. How do I get a high-mileage adjustment?
5. When I bought my car, the dealership told me they would take care of the taxes and tags. Why did you send me a tax bill?
6. I received a tax bill on a motor vehicle that I have sold. What do I need to do?
7. If I want to transfer my license plate to a replacement vehicle, what do I need to do?
8. If I move out of this state, what should I do with my South Carolina license plate?
9. How do I apply for an active-duty military exemption for my vehicle(s)?
10. How do I apply for the senior citizen discount?